Saturday, September 15, 2012

Smoothies 101

I LOVE smoothies! It just when it comes to making them I either don’t have the right ingredients or I’m too lazy to cut everything up for them. Sometimes I get some bananas with the intention of them being for smoothies, then I forget out them and they go bad!

I recently tried something out that has me on a major smoothie kick! I bought everything I wanted for smoothies, cut everything up, laid it on wax paper on a cookie sheet and froze it. Why? So that everything would freeze separately and not as one solid mass!
Once it was frozen I take it off and throw it into zip lock bags and put those in the freezer for me to use whenever I want a smoothie!!! I have even taken a can of pineapple and froze it this way. I usually have bananas, strawberries, pineapple, raspberries and such.


I also discovered cherries! We have 2 huge cherry trees at our house. I canned 11 pints of them and still had enough to probably can twice that much! I wasn’t sure what to do with them all. I was looking at a recipe that said to use Tart Cherry Juice, which I didn’t have. I grabbed one of my pints, boiled it for 15 minutes then pureed it! Half of a pint works perfectly! They are a great substitute to strawberries when they are out of season!

Another tip: most recipes says use half of a banana, but mine are sliced and frozen. I measured as I sliced one day and ½ a banana equals about ½ a cup!

My favorite smoothie recipes:
Oatmeal Smoothies (sometimes I skip the oats, depends on my mood)
The Sleep Doctor's Sleep Slim Smoothie

I have a LOT more on my To Try list!

No comments:

Post a Comment