Friday, November 15, 2013

Tips for saving on produce

In this post I said we don’t use much produce. The more I thought about it, I more I realized that I just don’t notice it. I buy our produce when it is on sale.

Also turning fruits into jams/ canning them works well too! We have 2 huge cherry trees and had way too many cherries last summer (2012). I canned a ton of them. This summer, we got no cherries, however I still have a few jars from last year!
I also turned our apricots off our tree into apricot raspberry jam!

My friend got apples, pears and plums from an orchard for around .25 cents a pound!

Broccoli- clean, cut, steam, dry, freeze
Strawberries- clean, cut in half, lay out on cookie sheet so they aren’t touching then once frozen transfer to air tight container. Or dehydrate. Perfect for in cereal!
Bananas- cut, lay out on cookie sheet so they aren’t touching then once frozen transfer to air tight container
Onions- peel, slice or dice up, freeze
Citrus juice- juice, pour juice into ice cube trays, freeze then store in bags in freezer. My parents have a lemon tree. I get dozens of lemons every year. I juice them all and freeze the juice. It last me all year!
Raspberries- clean, dry and freeze
Grapes- clean, dry and freeze
Corn- clean, shuck, cut off cob and freeze

I recently tried to can carrots, but I didn't can them properly and they went bad within a few weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment