Saturday, July 7, 2012

Inside the Pin... Italian Herb Chex Mix

(Italian Herb Chex Mix)
A few weeks ago I got a pack of the store bought/ pre-done Italian Herb Chex Mix, it is SO good! I searched and found this pin. This recipe is great! I don't like spicy stuff so I have started skipping the red pepper flakes. Plus I add a Zap Pac from Little Caesars to the main mix. I have done the top mix two different ways. The first time as described in the recipe. And the second time I mixed it on top for the last 15 minutes it baked. Both times yielded the same results, it does NOT stick to the chex mix. My husband has requested that I stop adding the parmesan cheese because it just "wastes" it. I will still do the basil and rosemary for flavor though, next time I will try mixing it in the main part. All in all, great recipe, but the store bought mix taste better!

Italian-Herb Party Mix
For the party mix-2 cups each: Chex Corn, Chex Rice and Chex Wheat cereal squares
2 cups mini pretzels*
1 cup nuts**

For the Butter-Spice Mixture-4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon each: red pepper flakes, garlic salt, garlic powder and onion powder

For the Cheese-Herb Mixture-1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil***
1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary

Preheat oven to 250o F. Mix cereal, pretzels and nuts for the party mix in a large bowl; set aside.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, garlic salt, garlic powder and onion powder; stir to combine.

Off heat pour butter-spice mixture over party mix and keep tossing until it is fully coated.

Transfer party mix to a baking sheet. Bake mix 1-1-1/4 hours (I did mine for 1 hour only), stirring every 15 minutes.

Combine Parmesan, basil and rosemary in a bowl, sprinkle over party mix and toss together while mix is still warm. Cool mix on a baking sheet and store in an airtight container up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment